Subscribe to RSS feed

Thursday, September 16, 2010

4 Essays in 1 short---- Falling Action

One of my favorite essay...

Marking= 32/50


The Coffee Shop—The Talk of Friendship


I5 August 2010. I see today’s date on the calendar. Time really flow, today is the 1st anniversary of the “Miracle Day” between a friend and I. After a call, we promised to meet at the old place, the Old Town coffee shop at Jalan Kapar.



I reach the venue much earlier than the promised time. The sky turns dark, follow y the tiny droplets of rain and then the rain starts to pour. Time moves much slower than usual. I enjoy my Mocha while I wait for his arrival. I look at the clock, 2.15pm. The time reminds me of the incident that occurred last year. During that time, the hands of the clock were showing the same time, 2.15pm.

5 August 2009. I had a date with Jaywin in Old Town coffee shop but he did not turn up. He told me he would like to celebrate my birthday with me and wanted to give surprise me. I wondered what the surprise was. Could he have forgotten our date? I waited for him for nearly an hour and finished about five cups of Mocha but he did not appear. Not even a call. I was pissed off when I tried calling him a few times and my calls went to his voice mail. With a burn in my heat, I wondered what kind of punishment I should inflict on him when he arrived.


At 2.15pm, my phone rang. A foreign number was calling me. I was dumbfounded as I picked up the phone. It was from the hospital. Jaywin was in the emergency room. Without any hesitation, I rushed to the hospital. When I arrived, Jaywin had not come out from the operating room. There were few cops outside the room. They came to me for questions.


Jaywin was an orphan and I am his grow up friend and also the only sworn brother. I am the only person who knows him well. After I gave them the information they wanted, the cops told me the story of his accident. According to them, Jaywin was speeding at that time. Suddenly, he fainted. Most probably was due to his anemia. He knocked to a lorry. The lorry driver was not injured but Jaywin was in critical condition. A birthday cake was found in the car.

My heart dropped when I saw the smashed cake. It was the Special Chocolate Cheese Ice-cream Cake from Faraway Cake House. The cake could only be obtained with one month advanced booking and the cake shop was in Puchong. He knew the cake was my flavor and he must have been excited to present the cake to me. That must be why he was speeding. My tears were falling and I was afraid I would loss the dearest sworn bother.


The doctor came out. He said that they needed O¯ blood to save Jaywin life. I took the blood test and passed! That day, I felt like I had donated almost half of my body’s blood to Jaywin. I was glad when the doctor said he was saved! Another thing that was on my mind that day was I felt dizzy.


I am glad and I giggle when I think this old story. Suddenly, I receive a call. It is a stranger’s number! Oh no! Please do not tell me it is from the hospital! When I answer the call, there is no sound at all. Suddenly, a hand grabs my shoulder from my back and I yell in terror. A voice comes out from the phone, “Gotcha!” “It is you, Jaywin!” I say. Jaywin appears in front of me, holding a cake, my favorite cake, the Special Chocolate Cheese Ice-cream Cake from the Faraway Cake House in Puchong! Oh well, it seems the celebration of Jaywin’s miracle survival, the “Miracle Day” finally turns into success!


Jaywin, thanks for your hardworks. I really appreciate your gesture. The Old Town coffee shop has turned into the symbolism of our friendship. I wish we could spend every 5 August in this coffee shop! Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment